Saturday, November 4, 2006

The things I do for my art!



Not for the first time, someone with the best of intentions tried their hand at matchmaking. A few friends have mentioned guys they know and asked if I was interested in meeting them, and family members have tried to get me on a few blind dates. I have never accepted. This time it was my step mother who wanted me to email the son of someone she knew. My initial reaction was of course, no way no how. But after much enthused urging from my sister, I found myself convinced to release my email address. The justification being that I had nothing to blog about recently, so this would give me a topic.

I wish I could say it was amazingly fantastic or incredibly horrific. Either way would make for a good story. But alas, it was nothing remarkable at all. He was a perfectly decent person, which means I have no reason to be mean or mock him. But I knew from the start, before I even met the guy, that I was not interested. First off, the second I saw him I knew there was no attraction and that was that. But whatever, I'd be open-minded, we could still have a pleasant evening. Except that he was so serious! Not my type at all. Blah blah politics, blah blah serious relationship stuff. Yeesh! I just like to have a drink, chit chat, not analyze the person and try to assess them on the spot. I think he was really worried about the impression he was making, instead of just being relaxed. But like I said, too serious and boring. When he asked what I looked for in a guy, I said I had to have fun with them. Not too many similarities between my last two boyfriends, actually all the guys I've been involved with have been quite different. But they all make me laugh. Anyway, then he made some whole big speech about honesty and meeting someone and saying you'd go out again but not meaning it etc. So... I was honest. I said it was nice to meet him and everything, but I didn't see this progressing. He did a bit of "yeah, no, that's fine, yeah, yeah, I think we're on the same page, that's fine" sort of thing. And that was that.

I mentioned that I knew before meeting him that I was not interested. I'm not saying it was an insurmoutable obstacle, and if there had been chemistry, I might have been willing to get past it.... but... he misspelled "Saturday". Not a typo, he spelled it twice as "Saterday" I mean really, I do have standards, and being able to correctly spell the days of the week is kind of a given.

4 comments:

Will said...

Yeah, I have to agree, being able to properly spell the days of the week should be a given. It\'s unfortunate that it didn\'t work out, but if you don\'t feel it, then you don\'t feel it. No point trying to make something out of nothing. I can\'t really offer any dating advice, but I will say hang in there. I\'m sure there\'s someone out there who will realize what a catch you are.

Amanda said...

Spelling would be a HUGE turn off for me, lol. Come on as if you don\'t know how to spell Saturday!!
 
You came by my site awhile back out of curiosity about my name...and now I am here to say "Hello, and have a good day"!!

Laoch said...

Hopefully you at least turned him on to the joys of spellchecking software during the end of the date passionate necking session.

Melvin said...

Hmm, good dating tips! If I ever go on a blind date with you I\'ll never talk politics. I\'ll just mention how awesome my paperclip collection. I was deeply inspired by Bert off Sesame Street. Hey! What are you doing Sundae?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...