Thursday, August 25, 2005

A night out at the talkies

Theran and I decided to treat ourselves and go to the movies. We've only been to one movie in the last year - Star Wars. I know we can buy DVDs for ridiculously cheap, but I love going to the theatre. So we went to see War of the Worlds, the only English movie playing. It was so nice to sink into the big, comfy chairs and stare up at the huge screen. The lights dimmed and it began. If time had dulled my memory since the last outing to the movies, this experience refreshed everything and it is now indelibly etched in my mind. I will NEVER go to the theatre in China again. Okay sure, I leave really soon, but I would stand by this even if I had to stay here another year. It just isn't worth it.

 

TALKTALKTALKTALKTALK!!!! The people in the audience just wouldn't shut up. I remember that it annoyed me when we saw Star Wars, but I forgot just how bad it was. People leave their cell phones on, and then when they get calls, they don't go in to the lobby to take them, they just talk right there. I don't stay perfectly silent during the film, but if I do want to say something to my friend, I whisper it!! Does nobody know how to lower their voice here? And this wasn't just one annoying couple or group, like we occasionally get at home, this was everyone in the damn theatre! Yapyapyap. yakkityyakyak. So rude and inconsiderate!

 

Honestly, one thing I'm looking forward to about going home is that, generally speaking, people have good manners. Most people hold the door for others behind them instead of letting it slam in their faces, most people will hold the elevator if they see someone running to catch it as opposed to repeatedly pushing the close-door button, most people won't sit on the aisle seat of a bus and then refuse to scoot over or even move a squidge to let someone else sit down, most people don't push their carts into you impatiently while you're waiting in the check-out line, and most people don't talk at full volume throughout an entire movie!!!

 

Okay, just had to vent. Don't get me wrong, I still have more fond memories than bad ones, but I most definitely will not miss things like this. It really makes me appreciate the standards back home, where the majority of people really do uphold Canadians' reputation for being polite.

5 comments:

hellachella said...

You should have started singing the theme song to it. Or announced loudly, "HEY, IS THIS THE PART WHERE THE GIANT ALIENS DIE FROM HUMAN DISEASES?" "OH I GUESS NOT".

mochi said...

Just stopped before you left to wish you all the best on your travels. What an adventure it will be! Enjoy!

monty said...

take plenty of pics on your travels , no shoilets !

The Lovely Lindsey said...

when do you get back to Winnipeg???

Heather said...

I love both sets of outfits...I am so jealous and in no way do u look offal....you look sharp. HUGSSSSSSSSSSS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...